Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Can I give up Facebook for 40 days?

I Love facebook. It's where I go when I want to find out the latest deals, what's happening with my friends and family or just want to spend a few minutes playing a game.

The problem is a few minutes on facebook has a tendency to turn into an hour or so. I used to think the facebook games were a time drain but in reality it is all of facebook. While yes it might make things easier, in reality all the information I get from facebook can be found elsewhere. I can email my friends for life updates, I can read my google reader for the best internet deals and I can find games to play anywhere on the internet.

In honor of my "resolution" to declutter and simplify our lives this year I want to do a facebook fast. I am not Catholic but the timing and time span just seemed to work and inspire me. So in a quest to remember what exactly I did with all my free time before facebook and maybe even be productive for a while I'm logging off of our big blue friend.

I can't get rid of all my online conveniences, I can't imagine what my email would look like if I didn't check that, but hopefully this little (yet hard) change will help me spend more time on the things I find important in life and the world around me.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love this idea. I've been struggling with the same things! I feel like once I get on Facebook, it sort of absorbs me and I lose way more time than I'd planned. I think it's a great goal - good luck!

Megan said...

Thanks Laura,
One day down and so far so good. We'll see how tomorrow goes. While I may not have been on facebook today I was able to find many other things to waste away my time with, hopefully tomorrow I can prioritize more. :)

Sweepstakes offers said...


Enter into the Good Housekeeping Star Wars Adventure Sweepstakes 2020 now through February 24, 2020 at adventure.goodhousekeeping.com.